Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Roasted Chickpeas

Not sure if you've noticed the trend... I kind of like beans. Any sort: white or black, light or dark [kidneys], etc. And garbanzos are close to the top of the list. Back over the summer, I was turned on to ROASTED garbanzo beans, aka "chick peas" ~ I instantly fell in love and they quickly became my favorite "diet" snackfood. The only downside is... you can't stop popping them in your mouth!

These cuties snap crackle and pop when they're roasting. They are adorable, crunchy, flavorful little morsels. (I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe yet!). The flavor combinations are legit endless. I tend to go savory/snacky, but you could totally push it the other direction and make them sweet/desserty. I tend to favor salt & pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika, but there are SO many varieties, you can have a different snack any day of the week! Tonight, as I sit here and share my thoughts, I am snacking on a flavor combo of:


The Recipe
courtesy of: a variety of Google searches
Ingredients:
1+ cans garbanzo beans (aka "chick peas") - rinsed, drained, and dried well
Drizzle of EVOO
Salt
Spice combination to your liking...
  • Great spices to use are smoked paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, curry powder
  • You could drizzle them with maple syrup or agave, or sprinkle with brown sugar
  • The possibilities really are .Endless.
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400
  2. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil (shiny side down) - for easy clean up.
  3. Place chick peas on paper towel and cover with a 2nd - roll back and forth to make sure they are really dry. Some prefer to remove the little skins that fall off, I personally like them because they get super extra crispy when roasted.
  4. Place chick peas on baking sheet, and drizzle with EVOO, and toss with spices - I give the whole thing a little shake back and forth on the cookie sheet (mostly because it's fun)
  5. Roast for 20 minutes - shake again - roast for another 10-15 minutes, until chicks are brown and crunchy
That's literally it. Start poppin' these babies and you'll be hooked for life. In the time it has taken me to write this, I have almost finished them all.
Note: They don't really keep past 1 day, though... they lose their crunch, and while they still taste great, it makes them slightly less poppable.

2 comments:

  1. I made these last night and they were soooo yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved them Kimmy!! ;) Let me know if you come up with any new and exciting flavor combinations!!

      Delete